Archive

Archive for the ‘Jeopardy! Project’ Category

6/27/12

June 27, 2012 Leave a comment

Inspiration is coming few and far between with these projects, but when I do get the urge to work on them I make pretty good strides towards my end goal.

I worked on the game a little bit yesterday, I got the main game structure working, with statuses to tell you what part of the game you are in, which is all part of the games flow. The next step is to import all of the question and answer data into the game itself. I already have code written that takes the HTML files from J! Archive  and parses the data. Right now i’d say I’m about 40% complete.

 

Ideas for the game:
Have a random game load or choose one yourself, maybe by number, maybe by a menu with a list of all of the games?
Ken Jennings challenge mode: Play all of the games that Ken Jennings did, see if you can beat his dollar or game record.

Well, it’s lunch time at work, more to come later!

-Dru

Advertisements
Categories: Jeopardy! Project

Jeopardy, 6/4/12

June 4, 2012 Leave a comment

Worked on the game a little bit tonight. Spent all of my time writing a function that prints out a question in a neat and readable manner, below is an example of what a question will look like (this one is very easy!). Feels good to get that function wrote, small steps on my way to a big product.

I also thought of a way to manage the game play while riding to work this morning. I wrote it down and plan to implement it soon. I also need to do some more graphics and get all of the question data loaded into the game.

Image

Categories: Jeopardy! Project

Update on the Jeopardy Project.

May 21, 2012 Leave a comment

I’ve made a bit of progress since last posting about a month ago. I have all of the data downloaded from the J! archive website and wrote some code to do text parsing on the html pages so that I can get only the data I need, which is the question, the answer, the category, and the dollar amount. I have ran it on a few of the games and have fixed a few minor errors with the script, but I have yet to run it on all of the data.

I started programming some of the graphics using a graphics engine developed by some U of M students called zenilib. It was a pain to get it set up using windows 7, but once I got it running I started studying the code and have a little bit of a grasp on it.  I currently have some of the structure done, I have to work on that a little bit more and work on integrating the structure of the game with the question data.

 

 

…more later!

Categories: Jeopardy! Project

I’m Back!

April 19, 2012 Leave a comment

I haven’t posted on this in awhile, been busy with school and sports trips that come with being a part of the band that I had to stop working on these for awhile. But alas with summer coming up I am back and ready to get started up again.

At the moment I am currently downloading the entire J-archive.com website. At first I was trying to write my own perl script to do this, but after watching this video, I learned the method that Roger Craig used to download the same website. He downloaded it so that he could study all of the questions and see where he needed to study the most. He currently holds the single game money record for a Jeopardy! game, so obviously his method worked.  I am not downloading it to study for Jeopardy!, but rather to make my game to play against my roommates for fun.

Using graphics and the Wii mote for control are some ideas that I’ve been thinking about and that I don’t think would be that hard to implement and would make the game much better.

Categories: Jeopardy! Project

Jeopardy Project

February 29, 2012 Leave a comment

I’ve decided to start working on the Jeopardy project that I mentioned in my previous post. It is the easiest for me to get started because it the only one that does not require me spending some money to get the necessary materials.

First step in the project is to get questions and answers (or answers and questions) from the J-Archive website. I’ve already began work on a few perl scripts that will comb through the site. Just a few minor adjustments are needed and I might be able to get all the data in the next few days. My biggest challenge for this was learning perl, as I have never used it before. I used a lot of internet resources like these:

Introduction to Perl for Mac
Simple Perl String and Numeric Manipulation Handling

perldoc.perl.org
Parsing Text Files
Parsing HTML with HTML:Parser
Perl – StringsPerl – If Statement Syntax
Perl – For Loop Syntax 

So far I have gotten my scripts to parse through the HTML to correctly retrieve 99% of the correct answers. Tomorrow I will begin work on the other 1% of those answers and matching them up by dollar value and category. After I do that and I have all the data it’s time to learn how to program games in C++ with graphics.

Categories: Jeopardy! Project